Monday, August 22, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me

I had a birthday over the weekend. I turned 43. None of this "29 again" nonsense. I was just telling hubby this weekend that I don't understand why people play that game. I'm 43. I'm very 43. And that doesn't bother me at all.

I don't want to be 29 again. I know more now. I have more patience and wisdom now. I like myself better now. I like and appreciate other people more now, I think. I went through a lot to be the 43-year-old I am now, and I don't want to go through it all again.

I hope I feel that way when I'm 60-something. And 80-something. I want to enjoy and appreciate every stage of life, not waste my time wishing for something that is gone, or hoping for something yet to come.

Pastor Jeff started a series Sunday called "Live Like You're Dying". (And they sang the Kris Allen song -- I love that song!) He talked this week about living in the moment -- being fully present wherever you are. That's such a good principle to live by. I want to do that more. We found an old home video from when the girls were 4 and 8. They were so adorable! I remember being stressed out by a lot of things at that time, but I also remember trying very hard to enjoy them as they were, because I knew they were changing fast.

I want to remember that now. Someday, before I know it, they'll both be grown and out of the house, and I'll be looking back on these "difficult" teen years and remembering what wonderful girls they were. (At least, I hope I will.) And by then, I'll have new things to experience and enjoy--maybe even grandkids on the way....

Ah! Not to sound cheesy, but what a wonderful gift life is!

No comments: