Monday, November 14, 2011

Joining the 9%

Blue Bunny Ice Cream is eliminating the food service marketing division -- that's my husband's division. Which means he's spent the past couple months transitioning his people into new spots and preparing himself for the new management job they were creating for him in Sales. But in light of the high prices these days of dairy products (from which ice cream is made) and corn (by which dairy cows are fed), the Board decided costs needed to be contained.

Which means they would not give approval for any new positions to be created. Like my husband's new position in Sales. And his old position no longer exists.

Which means my husband is now unemployed. Which sucks.

I try to keep this in perspective. There are thousands of people out of work these days, and most of them are not have not been the obsessive savers that we've been over the years. Many of them are not as very employable as my husband is. Many of them are not as healthy as our family is.

But it still sucks. Mainly because it will probably mean another move, and we like it here. I'm not done with this place and the life we've made in it.

I wrote about a month ago about Phil Vischer learning to hold everything in his life with an open hand. And here I sit. With my house, my church, my drama teams, my friends, my kids' schools, my activities, my sweet comfortable gig I have here . . . all clutched in my hand as I slowly pry my fingers open.

You give and take away . . . my heart will choose to say . . .

3 comments:

Ona Marae said...

Gwen, I don't really have any comforting words for you right now. Sometimes you just have to feel the fear and dread and uncertainty to be able to move through them to the other side. I'm not even sure that's what you are feeling, but it's what i would be, have been in times before, feeling. I wish you the best and I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Eener said...

Eener jumps off Ona and says, 'Ditto"! Open your ears and your mind too, listen to God. Follow, Follow, Follow, Follow. . . . . .

Love you!

samtodd28 said...

Hey Gwen...

I just saw this post...I am so sorry to hear that Keith has joined the 9%. Please know that I will be praying for you guys. I will trust God with you that he will lead in the EXACT next steps to take.

I will say that Orlando this time of year is VERY beautiful.... :-)