Friday, May 11, 2012

Little Messes, Big Blessings

I have a new song I'm loving.


"This is the Stuff" by Francesca Battistelli.  It's on a CD my youngest got for her birthday.  Oh, how many days have I felt like this!! 

This is the stuff that drives me crazy
This is the stuff that's getting to me lately
In the middle of my little mess
I forget how big I'm blessed.

My little mess.  My messes never seem little when I'm sitting in the middle of them.  And unfortunately, my blessings don't always seem that big, either.  How does our perspective get so screwed up?

I passed along a quote on FB a while back: The purpose of Christianity is not to avoid difficulty, but to produce a character adequate to meet it when it comes. It does not make life easy; rather it tries to make us great enough for life.  (James L. Christensen)

Now there's a life-changing thought -- for me anyway.  It has echoed in my mind for a few weeks now.  God is not that interested in changing the world to make my life more comfortable or easy.  He is interested in changing me so I am able to handle the world around me -- and change it, when need be.

This is the stuff you use
To break me of impatience
Conquer my frustrations.

James said that we should consider it "pure joy" when we face trials, because trials produce endurance, and endurance matures and completes us.  Amen.  Grow me up, Lord.

No comments: