Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Family Shoe Closet? Hmmm

My friend Shelley loaned me the book written by the Duggars, the family with the 18 kids, now expecting number 19. An interesting story. I'm not going to go into my opinions about the Duggars and their "lifestyle choices". I only bring it up because they mention something in the book that I think is a great idea.

In previous homes, the Duggars quickly realized they had no space in bedrooms for dressers and wardrobes and such to store clothing. Plus, I'm sure it quickly became a hassle to have to sort all of those clothes and distribute them to each person's individual storage spots. So, out of necessity, they started keeping everyone's clothes in a "family closet" right by the laundry room. Clean clothes went straight from the laundry room to the nearby closet. Everybody went there to choose their own clothes for the day and deposit their dirty clothes.

When the Duggars built their own house custom-made to accommodate their large family, they probably could have made room for clothes storage in the bedrooms, but they decided the family closet idea worked for them, so they built it into the floorplan of the new house.

My mother-in-law kind of does this. She keeps most of the clothes she wears regularly in the laundry room downstairs and changes down there. Really, it makes a lot of sense.

I bring this up because Leslie and I were just discussing our family's shoe situation. We almost always take our shoes off immediately upon entering the house. It's just what we do. For me, this is not much of an issue, because I keep one pair of shoes right by the door that are very generic and go with just about anything. I wear them 90% of the time, so it works well to slip them on and off right there by the door.

Leslie, on the other hand, has a plethora of shoes and may wear two different pair in a day. This means that right now, for instance, there are four pairs of her shoes lying in the aforementioned doorway -- which is what prompted this conversation between the two of us -- and made me wonder if we can implement a family shoe closet downstairs by our door to the garage. It would make SO much more sense, considering the way we are ....

Check me out -- thinking outside the box. How very right-brained of me!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We have all our shoes on some shelves by the door--Mom and Dad's on the upper shelf, Kayla's on the middle, and Anna and Melissa's on the bottom. It's not the prettiest solution, but it works well for us. =)

Vianelli and Eastin said...

That was a pretty good idea! Smart thinking Mom!
Eastin