Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The One-Year Mark

It's October 13th, 2009. October 13th, 2008, was a cold, rainy day. I remember that because it was the day the movers arrived at our new house here in Sioux City to unload our stuff.

This means we've been living in Sioux City for a year now. Hmmm. I'm trying to decide if it feels like we've been here a year. Yes, I think it does. A long, eventful, often busy, sometimes difficult year. Thankfully, we're all "in a better place" (figuratively speaking) than we were on October 13th, 2008.

We're settled in our house. The last little bits of unpacking and settling in that have yet to be finished are more of the nature of those kinds of things that seem to hang around being undone for years when you own a house. When we're out of town for a while, we find ourselves longing to be back home -- and this is home.

We have friends. No, not the really close intimate friends that we left behind and still long for, but when I remember where we were on October 13th, 2008, I have to feel grateful. My girls have kids they can call to play with at most anytime. I have time occasionally with women that I have things in common with and can enjoy. Keith -- well, he has as many friends here as he's had anywhere for the last 15-20 years, I suppose. :)

Personally, I feel like I've found more . . I dunno . . purpose for my life here lately? I'm one of those people who is always involved in a million things (more than I should be, usually), and the first several months after a move is always a difficult one for me. I feel directionless, purposeless, useless. Yes, I'm always parenting and homeschooling, but I kind of need another outlet for myself, too. The homeschool drama and church drama stuff has helped a lot there.

So, I feel officially like an Iowan now. Well, no, I can't honestly say that. But I feel like we've officially left New Jersey. Like a lengthy season of mourning is coming to a close. I still miss people and things there. But we're home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is hard to believe it has already been a year.

Anonymous said...

Wow, a year!
Glad that things are settled. We here in NJ miss you very much.
But I might be facing the moving- because-of-hubby-work as well, so this is comforting to hear my dear Gwen.

Vianelli and Eastin said...

It's so sad... I wish we did not move... mamaofive say to ana hi.
Eastin