Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Please Hurry

A friend just posted a verse on her Facebook status: Isaiah 40:17. So I looked it up.

Yet I am poor and needy;
May the Lord think of me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
O my God, do not delay.

Spoke my heart in a lot of ways this morning. But the last line particularly struck me: O my God, do not delay.

I'm quite the preachy one. Well, maybe not always preachy, but definitely teachy. Intellectual. The head knowledge. I can usually give a decent answer to most faith queries, whether my answer is valid or not. (I was reminded in my small group study last night that it's better to admit you don't know something than to spit out a bunch of baloney that sounds like you do.)

My usual response to why God hasn't acted on some problem yet (like, say, my sleep issues) is that God's timing is always right. He's never too late; we just need to be patient. And I do believe that -- that isn't just baloney I spit out.

But this passage reminded me that even though I can trust God's timing, there's no reason I can't ask him to please hurry. I think he wants to hear such passionate requests from us. Like my husband, who I'm sure is always anxious to see us at the end of his work day, and who knows we're anxious to see him . . . but I bet he still likes to hear me ask him to "Hurry home!"

So, Lord, I know you know the desires of my heart. And I know you will accomplish these things when the time is right. But I'm still pleading with you . . . do not delay!!!!

No comments: