Friday, June 11, 2010

Blown Away

We woke up in the middle of the night to a huge storm raging outside. I haven't been able to find any stats on it, but the wind was stronger than anything I've ever heard here yet -- and the wind gusts we get on this hilltop are pretty amazing.

All of our deck furniture was piled on top of each other at one end of the deck this morning. The 14 ceramic tiles from the table top were all blown out. I was SURE some of them were broken or missing, but there's only one with a corner chipped off. The grill was still in place, thanks to Keith bungee-cording it to the deck railing, but the cover was blown off, torn in half, and half of it had blown into the empty lot down the hill.

It's trash day, so of course, all the trash and recyclables are blown all over the neighborhood. We can't even find our trash container. Eastin and I picked up four bags of trash around the neighborhood -- none of which belonged to us. Who knows what poor sap out there is picking up our trash out of his yard.

But the worst thing is . . . our big, beautiful elm in the backyard has lost some big branches. Keith is afraid is might have to be cut down altogether. I could just cry. I know it's just a tree, but it's big and beautiful and I love that tree! I sit on the deck in the morning to do my quiet time and look at the branches sway and listen to the birds singing in it and all seems right in the world. Oh, it's just heartbreaking.

Apparently there's some minor flooding in the area, but there's more rain expected over the weekend so it may get worse, unfortunately. I tell ya, Mother Nature has it in for Iowans this year.

No comments: