Monday, September 19, 2011

So, You Gotta Live It Big Time

Last Saturday night, our family went to the Grandstand concert at the Clay County Fair, about an hour and a half away. It was a cold, cloudy day, and we expected to be rained on any minute. And we got back very late, especially when I had to be at church early the next morning. But we couldn't have missed this concert -- it was Big Time Rush with special guest Hot Chelle Rae, and the girls had been hoppin' excited for this night for weeks, especially Eastin.

For those without teen- or pre-teen-aged children, Big Time Rush is a boys band with a show on Nickelodeon. I feel a bit of affinity for them because one of the members is from Wichita, my hometown. Big Chelle Rae I hadn't heard of until I realized they sing "Tonight, Tonight" -- I love that song.

I had mixed feelings about going to this concert. I don't mind BTR's music, so I figured it would be a decent concert -- and it was. But as I said, it was cold and rain was pending the whole time. And I dreaded sitting in the middle of a bunch of screaming girls all evening long. As it turned out, our seats were near the top of the bleachers, so although the cold wind was worse up there, the screaming was mostly in front of us. Our ears got a break anyway.

At one point in the concert, they pulled a young girl up on the stage to sing to. I was afraid the poor thing was going to pee her pants she was so nervous and excited. They asked her if she'd ridden any rides at the fair that day . . . and she couldn't remember. She sat giggling, hyperventilating, on the verge of tears through the whole song. She squealed when each of them took a turn hugging her while they sang -- until her apparent favorite, Kendall (the Wichita boy), put his arm around her shoulders and she closed her eyes and just shrieked. Too funny. These boys have to just love this concert tour business.

I have been relieved that my girls haven't let themselves get all crazy obsessed over any celebrities since they've hit the pre-teen stage. No Bieber fever in our house, thank God. I don't think I ever got like that about anyone from my day (who would it have been? All I can think of is Shaun Cassidy . . . Andy Gibb . . . oh, yeah, Rick Springfield . . . but they never really did anything for me).

Nevertheless, the youngest had the time of her life Saturday night. "Thank you! Thank you! I love you guys SO MUCH!!!!" she told us over and over. That made it all worth it.

No comments: