Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Lapkes

I haven't written yet about our wonderful new neighbors. The Lapkes. Jeff and Pam. He's president (I think) of a small local bank (great business to be in these days, eh?). She owns her own purse and jewelry store across from the mall, open only on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Sweet deal.


Their 10-year-old daughter Lexi (I think that's how you spell it?) brought us cupcakes the day the movers moved us in. And she played with the girls every day after that until they went to Kansas. Their 14-year-old son, Trey, is cute, friendly, and "very responsible" according to the previous home-owners who recommended him to mow our lawn until we got a riding lawn mower (we have a huge spread of land -- ain't no push-mowing happening here).


Before Lexi came with her cupcakes, Pam brought over a goodie bag for us -- an Iowa State bag that plays the Cyclone theme song when you open it. Ah, it's good to be back in Big 12 territory! I didn't have the heart to tell her we're KU and K-State fans. I suppose we'll root for the Cyclones when they're not playing a Kansas team.


They invited the girls over to sit in their hot tub one evening, since they would have it closed up by the time they get back. They invited me, too, but I declined -- too darn cold to be wet and outside. (The weather does seem to be markedly chillier in Iowa.) The kids jumped from the hot tub to the pool and back again all night in the chilly air. Nutcases. But they had a great time.


Then, the next morning, Lexi came to the door before she left for school with a flask of milk for us for breakfast (I had yet to be able to get to the grocery store) and -- get this -- Pam's cell phone for me to take while I drove the girls to meet their Aunt Vicki. She didn't want me driving that far without a cell. What a gal! How many of you would loan your cell phone for a day to someone you've only known for 48 hours?


[By the way, for those of you who are concerned about my cell phone situation (and I know it's been weighing on you, keeping you awake at night), I bought another and my minutes transferred over. ]


Then on Sunday, we came home from church to find Trey mowing our front lawn, Jeff mowing the back, and Lexi pulling up the thistles that were growing wild all over the yard. They said they were working on their own yard, and knew we didn't have a mower yet . . what great neighbors!


I know many of you have been praying for us to have good neighbors here, so there you go! God is good!

No comments: