Saturday, January 1, 2011

Hello 2011!

Last year, I wrote a post for the New Year about the things I wanted to be able to look back on and be happy about when the year was over. And I was so glad I wrote that, because many of them, I actually WAS able to look back on and be happy about! So, I thought I'd do it again. This may not be enlightening to any of you . . . but it's beneficial to me.

Next year, on New Year's morning, when I sitting around in my pjs with the family watching the Rose Bowl Parade (which I hope is what I'm doing), I want to be able to look back on 2011 and be happy at how much healthier I am. I want to have more energy. I want to weigh a little less -- to be consistently wearing a size 10 again would be nice (an 8 would be even better! But I really would be quite content in a 10).

I want to see that the girls have had productive years -- that they have each accomplished significant things with their time. I want to see that they each have increased in their knowledge of themselves and God. I would love it if Leslie has overcome some of her procrastination problems and if Eastin has learned how, with her friends, to be a selfless leader as well as a willing follower, when the occasion calls for it.

I want Keith to still be happy at his job -- and I would love for him to have found a few men that he's developed close, genuine friendships with.

I want our family to have become more "missional" minded. I would love to be able to point back to a list of specific things we have done during the year to meet needs in our community and point people to the God who is the source of all.

If past patterns in my life hold, I expect by the end of this year, I may be starting to feel a bit of burnout in the two drama endeavors in my life, so I want to have found ways to delegate some of the duties that I feel least called to and equipped for, so I can focus my energies where I'm gifted.

I'd like to say I want my sleep problems to be solved. But I've said that for too many New Years now. When I look back on 2011, I want to be able to say that I didn't allow my sleep conditions to affect my life and those around me. That I didn't plague my family with irritability . . . that I was able to maintain order in our home and schedule . . . that I didn't let important deadlines get away from me . . . that I was able to give relationships the energy and focus they need to thrive.

I also want to know that I've been able to touch people's lives somehow through this blog. I mean, if I'm going to write anyway, it may as well be for somebody's mental, emotional or spiritual health beyond my own, right? More on that later . . .

Happy 2011, everyone!

No comments: