Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Bracing and Embracing

We fly back home today, and when we leave home the next time, it will probably be for good -- that is, it will no longer be home the next time we return.  The reality of that has started to sink in.

Sioux City has been a good place for us.  Lots of great things happened there.  Lots of trying times, too.  All four of us are different people than we were when we arrived almost five years ago.  God has done mighty things in our lives in our time there.  When hubby first lost his job, I didn't feel ready to leave -- I was too happy with the life we had.

But after a year and a half of closing doors and anticipating change, I'm ready for the change.  I'm ready for a new start -- a new house, new schools, new work, new church, new activities, new weather, new recreation, new friends . . . all of it.  Not that I won't miss the old, but we've moved enough to know that God always has wonderful things in store for us in a new place.  I've been very excited anticipating the new things.

Now it's time to close the final door on the old things, though, and I'm preparing for the grieving that will set in for the next couple of weeks.  All the "lasts".  Last Sunday morning at Sunnybrook.  Last party with the drama kids. Last shopping trip at Hyvee.  Last night sleeping in our bedrooms.  Many tears are coming. 

Bracing myself for the tears . . . but also trying to embrace the tears.  The sadness is only an indication of how important to us the things are that we are leaving.  And we want to celebrate the things in life that are important to us, that change us, that make us who we are.  No way to avoid the sadness, so we may as well indulge and let it wash over us and do its complete cleansing.

So, I don't know how much I'll be blogging in the next couple weeks . . . or how insightful they will be.  I may just be a blubbering, stressed-out mess for a while.  But whether or not you continue to read through my blubbers, I'd appreciate any prayers you think to shoot up on our behalf.  Transitions are hard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're going to miss you. And we'll be praying for you. Love you Mrs. K <3 Becca