Thursday, January 29, 2009

Do I Look Like I'm Under 21??

Well, I just had an interesting experience. I got carded trying to buy a bottle of Nyquil at Target.

All the more interesting for me because I don't believe I have ever in my life been required to produce an ID to prove I am the appropriate age for any purchase. I don't smoke -- never have. I never touched alcohol before the last 10 years or so, and even now I never purchase it -- I send Keith to the liquor store when necessary.

But for Nyquil??? I know it has alcohol in it, but seriously! Are there really kids out there getting intoxicated on Nyquil? Don't tell me -- I probably don't want to know.

Another interesting part of the process: it wasn't a matter of simply showing her my driver's license. She had to take it in hand and scan it. I hadn't noticed before -- my new Iowa driver's license has a scanning strip on the back. Not a bad idea, I suppose. Quick and easy way to find out if someone's old enough for a purchase. And probably makes it more difficult to make a fake ID. But now I'm curious what all kind of info one can get off of that.

In any case, it's pretty cool to say that I got carded at age 40. Yes, I know, I'm delusional. Humor me. :)

No comments: